Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Let us not conform but be TRANSFORMED!

Today I was reading a book that had some pretty startling information.  A poll done in 2004 showed that while 42 percent of Americans claim to be born again Christians only 10 percent of  all those polled can point to a transforming encounter with Christ.

Very convicting to me!

I reflected  on my own  journey with Christ and wondered which percentile I might fall under.

I was reminded of the apostle Paul's plea regarding transforming our lives:

"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, [which is] your reasonable service. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what [is] that good and acceptable and perfect will of God." ~Romans 12:1-2

Does my life really look any different than the world?  I must admit that I get caught up in the things of this world.  If you have read my earlier posts you know that there are some exciting things going on in our lives that involve ministry.  But I have to be honest and say that there are several times during the day that I start to think, "What are we thinking, we can't just pick up and move.  What about Parker's school.  What about our Christian neighbors.  What about the security of knowing that my kids are safe in this neighborhood.. And what about our 'stuff.'  I don't want to have to sell anything.  It is all very sentimental.  How will I part from it?" 

While I am not saying that God doesn't care about those things, it is not to be the driving force behind what we do.  I struggle with this.  I want so much to take care of my children and make choices that will keep them safe, protected, out of harms way. 

But here is the TRUTH.....we are not "secure" or "safe" if we are not following Jesus.  To be governed by the world is actually the most unsafe and harmful place to be.  And as far as our 'stuff' goes....as my mom used to say, "you can't take it to Heaven with you." 

You know, I don't know where we will live next?  But I know that I don't want to get caught in cycle of never having enough.  I desire to live my life for Christ and make a difference in a BIG way.  Now, don't get me wrong.  I would be THRILLED if God chose to keep us in this house.  But I would be just as thrilled if we lived in a shack near the UT campus sharing the gospel with college students! 

Desiring a pure and holy passion,
kerry

No comments: