Search This Blog

Friday, October 8, 2010

A New Season in Life!

"My people have changed their glory for that which does not profit."  ~Jeremiah 2:11

Definitely a new season for the White household.  Through God's grace, we have been provided a place to stay while we continue to pursue ministry with college students at UT.

I started this post with this particular verse because even though I am VERY grateful for a place to transition into ministry, I am grieving leaving our current residence.   Even though we know 100% that God was leading us to sell it...it is still a very hard transition.  I am trying so hard to not make it about "status" or "comfort."  But reality is...I still struggle with those at times. 

But the biggest hardship is "change."  I never really liked it but was always up for it.  But what I am realizing now is that with children involved it makes it even harder.  I start to doubt, thinking..."God, are we really hearing YOU?  You know we got a lot on the line here?"  And in those moments I want to settle for "comfort." 

Let me explain.  One evening before bedtime I curled up in bed with Parker because he was having a very hard day.  One of those where you see a 7 year old acting like a 2 year old.  So, I asked him if there was anything bothering him.  He buried his head in my shoulder and just started to cry uncontrollably.  Then he said, "I don't want to move.  I want to stay in this house." 

Now I know that he is just a 7 year old and he doesn't make family decisions.  But...it broke my heart.  I don't like to see my children hurting. 

Then it reminded me of when I was 11 years old.  I can vividly remember my mother telling me that she was going to be moving to a town 2 hours away for her job.  She told me that it would be for just 1 year.  She gave some complicated reason why she had to go for her job.  I can remember the emotions, the hurt, the lump in my throat and the pain in my stomach thinking of not having my mom around. 

And then when she finally did it.  Oh, the pain!!  The nights of crying myself to sleep.  The days at school feeling lonely and helpless.

And in that moment of God reminding me of my past, He also gave me joy in knowing that our family will be TOGETHER.  His sweet voice whispered in my ear, "Trust me.  All things work together for your good.  This is what is right and perfect for your FAMILY--to stay together and pursue ME!"

So, as we transition into this exciting season in our lives, my prayer is that we would not "exchange our glory for that which does not profit."  It doesn't matter where we are as long as we are moving towards our precious Lord and pursuing Him as a family.  He will take care of the rest.

More to come on this!  :)

~Kerry

1 comment:

Becky Crenshaw said...

What are you doing on Campus!? Kerry! How exciting!