Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Thank God for the Fleas!

Today I am pondering the fact that I tend to be so wishy washy.  I am so on fire for the Lord one minute and then....the arrows of life!  They seem to get me down every time.  But what I have realized is that I am wanting everything to be smooth sailing.  I don't want to have to fight the flaming arrows of doubt, frustration, disappointment, discomfort, heartache.  I just want to bury my head in the sand sometimes. 

But the Lord so gently reminded me of one of my favorite godly women of all times...Corrie Ten Boom!  LOVE HER!!

Corrie was a Dutch Christian Holocaust survivor who helped many Jews escape the Nazis during World War II.  She and her family were caught hiding Jews in their attic.  She and her sister, Betsie were eventually sent to Ravensbrück concentration camp in Germany. Ravensbruck was one of the worst concentration camps in Germany.

From The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom:

"Fleas and lice were so thick that upon entering the bunkroom, one became swarmed in them. The stench of burning flesh from those that were murdered without warning was a constant stare into the face of death. The food was one half pound of bread and one half liter of soup per day. The work was so hard that the women had swollen legs and were losing circulation in no time."

From Corrie ten Boom-Light in the Holocaust

Corrie and Betsie had smuggled a Bible into the camp and traded it back and forth during the day. If the guards found one or caught anyone having meetings, they were to be executed. At first, the women held these meetings very timidly. But as the weeks wore on and no guards came into the bunkroom, they grew bolder. Corrie marveled at this.
Why was it that no guard came in?


Betsie excitedly told Corrie, "I found out for sure, Corrie. I overheard two guards. The guards will not step foot in the bunkroom because of the FLEAS! Thank God for the fleas!" she exclaimed. The women added that to their prayers daily."

...Corrie endured all the cruelties inflicted upon her bravely, the ones she could not bear were the ones inflicted on her already weak sister. Betsie greeted each day and each trial with the same sweet smile, rejoicing in the fact that she could share Jesus' love with her fellow prisoners. Corrie did everything in her power to help her dying sister, but the horrible conditions, rampid filth and piercing cold overtook her. Before she died, Betsie said something to Corrie that would stay with her for the rest of her life "We must go everywhere and tell everyone. They will believe us, because we were here. We must tell them that there is no pit so deep that He is not deeper still."

Wow! 

What courage and strength!

I pray that I would be able to thank God for the fleas!!!  I also pray that I would be about God's business and not get caught up in the things of this world.  I pray that I would have the same sense of urgency that Betsie had to tell everyone about Him.... that "there is no pit so deep that He is not deeper still."

So when I start questioning God's timing, doubting His call on my life, fearing the future....I will remember the life of Corrie and Betsie ten Boom!

Thank you Lord for godly women who have walked before us!






Photobucket

1 comment:

Becky Crenshaw said...

I have read this before but had forgotten. Oh, so good! Thank you for sharing! Love you.