Search This Blog

Sunday, July 18, 2010

A Heart Responsive to God

"If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves, and the truth is not in us." ~1 John 1:8

" If we confess our sins, He is faithful adn righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." ~1 John 1:9

What I am realizing is that I am not calling sin "sin." I can tend to justify my actions. Sometimes I am so desensitized that I am not even convicted of sin. But the reality is...I have sin in my life that I am not dealing with!

I was reading Elizabeth George's book for my quiet-time this morning called A Woman After God's Own Heart. She talked about calling sin "sin" and by doing so we train our heart to be responsive to God's convicting spirit. She says that the split second you think or do anything contrary to God's heart, stop immediately! She states that such action is key to training your heart to be responsive to God.

Of course we have to be in the Word to be able to identify sin in our lives. We need to Truth in order to know what is false.

I was in a situation the other day where I was starting to have thoughts that where not in line with God's Word and immediately God brought truth to my mind about that situation. I was able to say, "wait a minute, what am I thinking? This is not what God thinks about this. His Word says......!

Challenge:
Can you think of any situation where you are making excues about your disobedience? Are you obeying God only halfway?

Do you know what kind of attitude and heart that God desires?

As Elizabeth George says, "As you desire all that God desires, loves all that He loves, and humble yourselve under His might hand (1 Peter 5:6), then your heart will indeed be a heart after God. What a blessed thought!"


~kerry

No comments: