Search This Blog

Sunday, March 18, 2012

The Desert Life

"Look among the nations, and see; wonder and be astounded.  For I am doing a work in your days that you would not believe if told." ~Habakkuk 1:5

I came across this verse the other day and for the first time I understood it.  The thing that really spoke to me was the verse that came after this verse.  "For behold, I am raising up the Chaldeans, that bitter and hasty nation, who march through the breadth of the earth, to seize dwellings not their own."

Now, this doesn't sound like good news at first glance. I understand now why God tells Habakkuk that he wouldn't "believe if told."  Why would we think that God would use the bad to accomplish the good? 

Well I understand this now, because I  realize that the bad and the good work together to make us who God has created us to be.  The difficult times are the journey to making us complete in Christ.

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."  ~James 1:2

We don't like the deserts. A place of uncertainty...questioning.  It seems lonely...it's a hard journey.  BUT just as Paul Miller says in his book, A Praying Life, "God takes everyone he loves through a desert.  It is his cure for our wandering hearts, restlessly searching for a new Eden...Desert life sanctifies you.  You have no idea you are changing.  You simply notice after you've been in the desert awhile that you are different....After a while you notice your real thirsts...The desert becomes a window to the heart of God. He finally gets your attention because he's the only game in town."

AND THEN....
"I will open rivers on the bare heights, and fountains in the midst of the valleys.  I will make the wilderness a pool of water, and the dry land springs of water." ~Isaiah 41:18

The fire hydrant is turned on and the Lord quenches your thirst for more of HIM!!

This is what is happening in my life!  The Lord is putting his hand on my cheeks and lifting up my head, looking me in the eyes and telling me things about myself that are warming my heart.  It is totally contradicting anything I ever believed about myself.  He is affirming His love for me and His purpose for me!  He is becoming my wonderful sweet groom who totally adores me.  He is restoring virtue and dignity.  He is giving me a "beautiful headdress instead of ashes" (Isaiah 61:3).  And I am like a sponge soaking it all in.  In some ways I am afraid to come out of the desert for fear that I won't hear his sweet voice anymore.  But I know TRUTH....He will NEVER leave me or forsake me!!!  This gives me HOPE!

~Kerry

No comments: